Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Best and The Worst Father's Day

Susan and I have been planning a surprise Anniversary party for my parents for a few months. She, her best friend, and my brother flew in for the surprise. Most of the people we invited were able to come. Dave made his favorite ribs and the rest was pot-luck, so that made it easier. They were genuinly surprised and it was great. The weather was beautiful (thank heavens, because it was at a park) and everyone had a lovely time.
When we got home there was an unsettling message from Dave's sister that let us know that Dave's dad had been missing all day. He was expected in Salt Lake about noon but never showed up. After church, Dave started calling all the hospitals in the area. When he called his sister to let her know that he hadn't found anything, he found out that Art's car had been found on the side of I-15 in North Salt Lake. Not long after that, we heard that his dad's body was found inside the car. He had run out of gas and it seems that the heat overcame him. It was such a shock. Dave, understandably, is very shaken and quite upset. We'll be heading to Utah soon.

3 comments:

  1. Lex, I am so sorry to hear this? Please tell Dave my thoughts are with you both and your families.

    Was he Dad traveling alone?
    My goodness, I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lex, thanks for coming to SS. It's given me so much food for thought and growth. Another huge leap in our lives, I guess you could say.
    You are amazing and I love all of our story, talks, Valentine correspondence, etc. I will write you all of the good stuff.
    Love, J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoohoo...have you checked out the TAG on my blog? You're it. And I want to hear it all! Love you- J

    ReplyDelete