Sunday, June 1, 2008

service

So, at dinner tonight, my mom mentioned that yesterday was a service day: Rachel and John at the Human Society, Mom and Dad making blankets, and my reading to a guy in hospital. I just want to mention a bit about my reading experience.
This man has always been in our ward, I think. His mom used to be the RS president, so I know his parents. But he has been inactive as long (and most likely a lot longer) than I've been here which is 5 years. He and his wife have a baby girl. I'm not sure how old she is...1 at the most. He went on a diving trip about 6 months ago where he had numerous simultaneous small strokes while under water and also get The Benz (?) when he surfaced. He hasn't talked since. There was a picture of he and his wife and baby in his room and he didn't really look much like his former self. He's probably lost 50 lbs. He bit down on his lips and has some sores there that are healing now. He has a tracheotomy. I don't know how much brain function there is, but his eyes pretty much follow you. I suppose it could be a reflex, but I'd like to think it's cognisance showing through. He seemed to be quite taken by the picture of the pretty college girls I showed him. Men! :P
In a situation like that, you can't help but leave wondering what life would be like as the spouse of someone who had suffered such an injury. The terrible heartache and lonliness. And to think about having to go thru the rest of your life attached to that person, unable to hope for a new, happy relationship. Because you promised to stay.
It makes my precious moments with Dave that much sweeter and more cherished. Because now there's a comparison. And my trials are lighter. And the laughter, treasured.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I have always thought that the loneliness of marriage, for whatever reasons, is much more painful than the loneliness of being alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your feelings that remind me to live in the moment. I pray that we never have "reminders" like this one to value what we have- whatever it is-right now.
    I love you so much. Thanks for our moments! Jess

    ReplyDelete